On 7/23/07, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jul 23, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Benji York wrote:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> And where somewhat slower could be "practically not noticable".
>
> Perhaps it /could/ be, but isn't currently.  For example, updating
> one piece of software I have with almost 150 dependencies takes 45
> seconds with ppix, 4:45 without.  I plan to do similar timings with
> the "simple" PyPI interface when I get a chance and report the
> results here.

I suspect that this has more to do with network distance than with
server speed.

That is an interesting point.  It is amazing how many directory type things
get slammed, but the problem is really latency...such as a slow DNS lookup.
I wonder how much quicker an easy_install would be will local DNS
lookups,package names, etc.

I had a problem with a LDAP server I setup that was really tricky to figure
out until I wrote some scripts that ran continuously getting stats, and I
realized that a DNS server would hang occasionally and it would grind
everything to a halt.  People kept telling me they would have an occasional
'ls -l' that would hang for 20 seconds.  Caching DNS servers fixed it.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Python
Powered!

http://www.blog.noahgift.com