On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 05:59:45PM +0100, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby schrieb:
> > Questions, comments...  volunteers?   :)
>
> I've yet to read the monster package utils thread so I can't comment on
> it. However I like to draw some attention to my PEP 370
> http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/. It's about a site packages
> directory in the users home directory. I think it quite related to the
> discussion.

I agree that this is related and valuable too.  It would be good to
see it integrated.

Some thoughts I have from PEP 370:

* ~/.local goes against the de-facto standard of just using ~/lib,
  ~/bin etc in UNIX.  The freedesktop.org standard[1] is a very good
  argument however, but in that case that standard should be followed
  more closely which means respecting their env variables i.e. maybe
  putting data in $XDG_DATA_HOME.  Also the spec does not mention
  ~/.local/lib or ~/.local/bin at all, meaning there is no
  standardised env variable to change it (PEP 370 creates
  PYTHONUSERBASE to work round that though).

* The user site directory would end up before the system site
  directory (except for suid apps).  This will be a problem for Debian
  etc as bug reports are guaranteed when users install a newer version
  of a lib locally and accidentally break an app owned by the system.
  It would be better to leave the user site directory last on sys.path
  and require overwriting this using PTYHONPATH, so users do it
  explicitly.

* setup.py install's new --user argument.  A --home already exists,
  can the default of that not be changed to the user site directory?
  Currently you need to do "--home=~" so making it so that "--home"
  would end up using PYTHONUSERBASE would not break things would it?

Regards
Floris

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/basedir-spec

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom