On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Greg Ewing wrote:

> John J Lee wrote:
>>> I keep hoping that someday Linux will support something
>>> like MacOSX application bundles and frameworks,
>>
>> Not the same, but "something like":
>>
>> http://0install.net/
>
> That looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'd quite
> call it "something like". It looks like another case
> of adding more complexity to fight existing complexity,
> rather than removing the original complexity.
>
> In other words, it seems to be just another package
> manager, albeit a particulary nice-sounding one.

It allows you to think about "uninstallation" as "delete the app == delete
the file" ("the file" might be different in different systems -- e.g. with
ROX, it seems very similar to how I imagine Mac OS applications look, and
certainly very similar to how RISC OS apps used to look).

But it also (plausibly) claims to allow sharing of the data that comprises
an application and its dependencies between users who don't trust each
other (while preserving other desirable properties like the one in the
previous paragraph, such as avoidance of version conflicts, etc.).  I
think that property probably justifies the added implementation complexity
over unshared directories of files.  And the desire for that property
isn't a consequence of fighting existing complexity, right?

John