On Sep 29, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

Now, the question is,  what would debian miss in here to install:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/

It really seems to me that PEP-345's specification of dependency metadata is the wrong starting point.

There are not, to my knowledge, any Python packages in existence which use this form of dependency metadata, and there are not, to my knowledge, any Python tools which are capable of producing or consuming it.

In contrast, there are a large number of packages already in existence that declare their dependencies in their EGG-INFO/ depends.txt. There are many tools -- I don't even know how many -- which already know how to produce and consume that dependency metadata.

In fact, one such tool has a patch that I contributed myself to use that dependency metadata to automatically produce the Debian "Depends:" information [1]. I learned yesterday that there is a tool by David Malcolm to do likewise for Fedora RPM packages.

We would gain power by continuing to use the format that is already implemented and deployed, instead of asking everyone to switch to a different format.

So it seems like the next step is to write a PEP that supercedes the parts of PEP-345 which are about dependency metadata and instead says that the standard way to encode Python dependency metadata is in the EGG-INFO/requires.txt file.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~astraw/stdeb/autofind-depends
---