Andrew Price wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Distutils has made my life easier as an python application author and packager
> for some time but when it comes to generating and distributing message
> catalogues for translations, things get unexpectedly tricky.
>
> It would be nice to be able to do something like,
>
> ---------
> from distutils.core import setup
>
> setup(name="foo",
>         version="1.0",
>         description="A handy, translated application",
>         po_files = [('share/locales', ['po/*.po'])]
>         )
> ----------
>
> and have distutils do the right thing with the .po files at build time
> (generate
> .mo files from them) and at install time (install them into
> PREFIX/share/locales/LC_MESSAGES/, or wherever the distribution is configured
> put them).
>
> My big question is, are there plans to add msgfmt functionality into
> distutils?
> Googling tells me there was some discussion about this back in 2003 but I
> can't
> find any sign of progress since then.

This has been a big deal for some applications I work on.  Our first cut
was to add new Build and InstallData command classes.  I'm not happy
with how that works at all.  Our next pass is going to be moving the
build scripts to paver since that will make it easy to both
declaratively specify what po files exist and writing the imperative
task that actually installs them.

http://www.blueskyonmars.com/projects/paver/

-Toshio