Ben Finney wrote:
Mark Sienkiewicz <sienk...@stsci.edu> writes:

In that case, the .egg file should go on sys.path immediately before
the directory where it is stored. This ensures that a setuptools
.egg file will always be discovered before a distutils-installed
package/module in the same directory, but it will not override
packages/modules that occur earlier in sys.path.

What of distributions installed via setuptools that are *not*
installed as eggs?

I don't know. Can you tell me more about that? I'm not particularly familiar with setuptools -- I'm just offering to write the patch because I don't see it getting fixed any other way.

Every thing that I have ever installed with setuptools has landed in a file or directory named like "*.egg". For example:
site-packages/nose-0.10.4-py2.5.egg
site-packages/Sphinx-0.5.1-py2.5.egg
site-packages/Jinja-1.2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg

The installation creates a file "easy-install.pth" that looks like this:

% cat easy-install.pth
import sys; sys.__plen = len(sys.path)
./setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
./nose-0.10.4-py2.5.egg
./Sphinx-0.5.1-py2.5.egg
./Jinja-1.2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-i386.egg
./Pygments-1.0-py2.5.egg
./docutils-0.4-py2.5.egg
import sys; new=sys.path[sys.__plen:]; del sys.path[sys.__plen:]; p=getattr(sys,'__egginsert',0); sys.path[p:p]=new; sys.__egginsert = p+len(new)
%

So, where I said ".egg files", you can substitute the name of the things on line 2 through N-1 in the easy-install.pth file. That last line of easy-install.pth guarantees that the .egg files (in this example, they are all eggs) will be placed in the wrong place on sys.path, and that is all I am proposing to fix. If there is another case that does not involve the easy-install.pth file, that is outside the scope of my patch.

So, about distributions that are not installed as eggs: Can you tell me a little about it? Can you give me an example of how I can see it happen? Or does it turn out to be irrelevant to my patch?

Mark S.