At 05:04 PM 4/6/2009 -0700, Nicholas Veeser wrote:
I am working on a tool we call dino which uses sqlalchemy 0.5.3
Its an update of a previous version (called dino) which uses sqlalchemy 0.4.4.

For reasons I don't have to go into, I would like to have both tools installed on the same host, with almost no changes to the existing tool. Thus both versions of sqlalchemy installed

So my solution seemed to be use pkg_resources and egg's:

- leave sqlalchemy 0.4.4 in:
   /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/sqlalchemy
- build sqlalchemy 0.5.3 as an Egg and install into:
   /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.5.3-py2.4.egg
- in the root package of the new code,  specify the correct version
   from pkg_resources import require; require("SQLAlchemy>=0.5.0")

Change this to defining that dependency in its setup.py, and develop using 'setup.py develop'. It will then work correctly.