On 21 Apr, 2009, at 14:31, Eric Smith wrote:

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
On 20 Apr, 2009, at 22:12, Lennart Regebro wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, as I've been *trying* to help. I just still don't get what the problem is. If I were porting setuptools to Python 3, I would *want* it to be circular, even if I had to hack on it a little at
first.  So I have a hard time understanding why you don't.

But it CAN NOT be circular under Python 3.
I don't understand why not, doing it may be not entirely trivial but it should be possible with some trickery. As PJE noted one way to do this is to explicitly convert setuptools to python 3.x syntax before actually running setup.py (e.g. his setup3.py file). With some care this could even be done in setup.py itself.

But even if it's possible to make it circular, is that really a good design? I think not.

Given what setuptools tries to do I don't think the circular design is a problem. A standalone distutils would have had the same problem.

In the long run the useful features of setuptools should incorperated into distutils, instead of monkeypatching distutils. That is, of course, an entirely different issue and one that's already being worked on.

Ronald

Eric.