On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Trent Mick <tre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Tarek]

> [Trent]
>>> Or we could have:
>>>
>>>    RationalVersion(...version bits...)
>>>    RationalVersion.from_string(s)      # this is a @classmethod
>
> [Tres]
>> I would prefer keeping the string version of __init__, with the "I'm in
>> control, dammit" version reserved for the non-default factory method.
>
> I'd tend to agree, but I don't feel strongly about it.
>
> Tarek,
> Why would you prefer the default constructor argument be the version bits
> form.

The example that came in mind to me was datetime, that uses the bits
in the constructor, plus provides conversion function or class methods
to handle the string form:

datetime(year, month, day[, hour[, minute[, second[, microsecond[,tzinfo]]]]])

So like Sridhar, I'd rather have an detailed constructor.

I'm 0- on Tres proposal though, because the string form will be the
most used form.

Cheers
Tarek