On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM, David Lyon <david.l...@preisshare.net> wrote:

>> No because you can have files installed anywhere
>
> That's true that they can be installed anywhere. But there always
> needs to be an entry in a .PTH file along the python path to
> specify where the files were installed to.

You don't specify in this pth file that the package "foo" installed
the script "bar"
in the bin/ directory of your python installation.

>> The way to handle de-installation is to use the recorded list of file
>> that can be created by the 'sdist' command at installation time
>>
>> It's the --record option and we want to put its output in  "RECORD" in
>> the egg.info
>>
>> Now my point is : do we want to add the MANIFEST (source file list)
>> file as well.
>> Setuptools and pip are adding a SOURCES.txt file at this point.
>
> Well, you can certainly try that...
>
> But your logic fails in this case....
>
>  - you installed a package on a system in 1998...
>
>  - that system didn't generate all of the manifest info that
>   was just invented now. (2009)
>
>  - therefore... the code you run now cannot deinstall that
>   old package.

There's no plan to provide the uninstall feature for old packages,
but to provide a new egg-info standard that can be used on previous
Python version. (and therefore the uninstall feature that goes with it)

> Obviously.. there's ways around it...

I don't see how, since there were no standard way back then to keep
track of installed files

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org