At 01:11 PM 5/4/2009 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
You're right -- it doesn't protect against the following (><):

/full/path/to/package.egg
./package.egg

By duplicates, I meant 'package-1.0.egg' and 'package-1.1.egg', not alternate paths to the same file.

(As for the '.' replacement, you might want to look at what I said more closely.)

BTW, wasn't -m deprecated?

No.

 I mean, -m's `delivered' functionality
doesn't even work

You'll need to be more specific there: I don't know what you're saying "doesn't work", let alone *how*, what behavior you expect, or what you're seeing instead.

because python stores all loaded package / module
entries in .pth files as keys in a dictionary _anyhow_

I also don't know what you mean here. .pth file contents are added to sys.path, not a dictionary. Unless you're talking about sys.path_importer_cache or something, in which case I still don't see the connection to anything else at hand.

I have no idea how -xN factor into this though

The original docs said to use -m before uninstalling, but they really should say -mxN to exclude scripts and avoid installing (or uninstalling!) dependencies. The docs are broken (or at any rate, suboptimal) and should be fixed.

- The duplicates erasure was just gravy, and purely an exercise on my
part getting used to set's in python. The real point was the missing
package in .pth functionality, caused by easy_install / setuptools
lacking proper MP-safe logic.

I'm going to guess that by "MP" you mean multiprocessing, in which case I would say, yes, easy_install assumes that you are not running multiple simultaneous installations to the same directory.