On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:53:40 -0400, Stephen Waterbury
<stephen.c.waterb...@nasa.gov> wrote:
[snip]

A data point:  I've been using "setup.py develop" with twisted
for over a year now, and it works great for me -- definitely one of
my favorite features of setuptools.  I use it with an svn checkout of
twisted so I can always use the latest -- especially nice with twisted
because of its high quality management (trunk is almost never broken).
That way I can easily track the latest version -- just do an svn
update, no further installation required.

When I want to try a vcs checkout of an immature package and its setup.py
uses distutils instead of setuptools, I'll try changing its setup.py to
use setuptools (usually a one or two line replacement of the import)
and see if "setup.py develop" works, and it almost always does.

Hi Steve,

Yea, I would expect it to work alright with Twisted.  The project I
ran into this with is clearsilver, which it doesn't work with, and
another project I had in mind when I wrote about this problem is
pyOpenSSL, which is also laid out in its repository such that it
cannot be used in-place. :(

Jean-Paul