On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, you need to remember that bdist_wininst is not a "third-party"
> tool. It's part of distutils (although it's probably written in such a
> way that it could easily be extracted as a 3rd party addin - I
> honestly don't know).

I think that would be great to externalize such command to decouple
its release cycles
from Python (As mentioned during the Langage summit)

The only requirement would be to find someone that would lead its development,

If I find a windows developer that wants to handle this  <hint> <hint>
, we could probably
create a separate project

> I'd seriously recommend looking at bdist_wininst as an example - it's
> distributed with Python, so the source is easy to find, but it
> installs extra system-level metadata above and beyond what setup.py
> install does, so you can see what sorts of issues you have to deal
> with. (Some of the Unix-level packagers like bdist_rpm may be equally
> illuminating, but I've no experience with those).

I will, thanks for the tip. I guess bdist_msi should be also our
target for this,