At 03:02 PM 6/4/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is a dev version of a post-release version. Which is an edge case
>> submitted by Phillip.
>>
>> How would you write it ?
>
> 1.0.post623dev456 is what feels intuitive to me, here's my version of
> the last few lines:
>
> ...  < V('1.0')
> ...  < V('1.0.post456dev623')
> ...  < V('1.0.post456'))
>
> It would even feel more consistent if it was 1.0.port456.dev623

Sounds reasonable, I'll try something in the prototype, and submit it here

> Frankly I don't really understand the post-release requirement (and
> the PEP text doesn't help me out there, no explenation of what it is).

Being able to create development releases versions before a post-release
Phillip Eby came with this use case, you should find the original
message in the ML somewhere.

Development before postrelease = "1.0post456dev623"
In-progress snapshot of development version = "1.0dev456post623"

The specific use case I was asking about, though, was "1.0a1dev-r623", meaning "SVN revision 623 of the development work on leading up to 1.0a1" -- and IIRC, in the RationalVersion cheme, this should probably just translate to "1.0.a1.dev623".

Hopefully, all these examples I've just given are correct and work with the versioning code, as that would still be a strict subset of setuptools.