At 05:02 PM 6/26/2009 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
When you build an sdist using setuptools, it includes a pre- generated file manifest, along with a setup.cfg that forces the
right revision tag information in the project's version number (if
applicable).  This is specifically designed so that the person
building your sdist doesn't need the same revision control system
installed.

In short, the only person who needs setuptools_bzr installed is the
person who's generating the sdists.  So, feel free to drop it from
setup_requires and be happy.  ;-)

Here's what the setuptools docs say:

(Note: projects listed in setup_requires will NOT be automatically
installed on the system where the setup script is being run. They are
simply downloaded to the setup directory if they're not locally
available already. If you want them to be installed, as well as being
available when the setup script is run, you should add them to
install_requires and setup_requires.)

So I get that setuptools is doing what it's supposed to do.  I also
get that it's (usually) not too hard to write a MANIFEST.in that
pretty much does what you need it to do.  I'm bothered by the fact
that this puts us in a bind where we want to use setup_requires but
really can't.  After further thought though, the "problem" is probably
in buildout, because it shouldn't be downloading setup_requires
packages if they are in its download cache.

You seem to be ignoring the part where *you don't need setup_requires* in order to get a correct manifest on the target system, as long as they're using an sdist.

In other words, the only people who need setuptools_bzr are the people *making* sdists, not the people *using* sdists. You can therefore omit it from your setup_requires, if I understand your current situation correctly.