On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:52:55 +0900, David Cournapeau
<da...@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

[snip]

Installing libraries which are not python extensions is indeed quite
difficult ATM, I faced the same problem in numpy recently. Since in
numpy, we have our own distutils extensions, I hacked something to make
it work. A lot of code is related to our needs to be able to reuse to
libraries (with link options and all), and otherwise:
   - I patched the Distribution class to add one member which keeps
track of the installed libraries (dll in your case)
   - I added an install_clib command: this takes care of adding the
files to the record file, etc...
   - I added the in-place option for build_clib command: this is
necessary to make sure develop command works

Feel free to reuse this if you want (and can! It is butt-ugly, but not
worse than average distutils code :) ).

http://github.com/cournape/numpy/tree/install_clib

Cool, thanks!  I'll take a look at this.

Jean-Paul