On 2009-07-27 11:29, Adeel Ahmad Khan wrote:
The README is not "package data" because it's not inside a package.  You
can't install package data in a project that only includes modules.  In any
case, there's no point in shipping documentation inside an egg, because only
your project's *code* will be able to read it, not humans.  Human-readable
documentation only belongs in a source distribution.

I'm writing a command-line program and I was using the README to print
help.  Should I just copy the README into my module then or is there a
better way?

Most likely, the README and the help text should be different. READMEs need information like how to install the program. Help text does not.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco