>> I think it might improve
>> performance
>> a bit.  (Yes, that's right -- we haven't done a real measurement of
>> performance, but the few times that people briefly glanced at
performance
>> it
>> seemed like zipping the eggs made them slower to load, not faster.)

It's totally true. unzipped is faster because decompression adds
another processing layer which consumes more time than doing the
dma transfer of the extra bytes.

For those still using Z-80s or other 8-bit processors along with
C or assembler this isn't the case, but it will be true for any 32-
bit and above architecture running an elephant interpretor like
python.

+1 from me

David