Andrew Straw wrote:
Gerry Reno wrote:
In my setup.py I have my own "install":

from distutils.command.install import install
class myinstall(install):

and when we call dpkg-buildpackage this local "install" seems to maybe
be causing the problem with the error: option
--single-version-externally-managed not recognized.

How can we make this option be recognized? Do we need to inherit
something from setuptools?
I think there are 2 options:

1) upgrade to the nascent stdeb 0.4. It doesn't call setup.py with the
--single-version-externally-managed argument.
I'm using Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS Server and when I run apt-get it brings in stdeb 0.3. I always use the distro packagers to install software so how can I use apt-get to install stdeb 0.4?

2) inherit from setuptools' install command.
I don't like that idea. That may mean a lot of rework as it took a while to get our "install" all debugged and working.

I would suggest option 1. If you need me to make a release, I'm happy to
do so -- but maybe that will be better after it has bdist_deb? :)
My only concern now with stdeb adding the bdist_deb command is that it may not work like other 'bdist' commands. And having 'bdist_deb' work similar to 'bdist_rpm' is important. It would have to use setup.cfg for config and allow for pre/postinstall scripts to run.

Regards,
Gerry