Ian Bicking wrote:
I can imagine adding a little information, basically a log of when and why and who installed the package. For instance:

  agent: pip 0.5
  install-date: 2009-10-08T13:44:00UTC
  installed-for-user: False
installed-for-package: OtherPackage==0.3

I think this is a great idea. Recording more information rather than less and making sure it's kept up to date is a good idea here. Otherwise, when tools come along later down the line that want to make use of this information, they'll have to hack something themselves, and that's what got setuptools into the mess it currently is in the first place!

Chris