On Friday,2009-10-09, at 6:25 , Benji York wrote:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zo...@zooko.com> wrote:

What we do in the Tahoe-LAFS project is we don't count down to a future version, we only count up from a past version. This is also what Twisted
does (no coincidence -- we probably got the idea from them).

To clarify: that means that a beta for 2.0.0 might have a version of
1.6.3-r4321?

Yes, that's right. We haven't done this yet, but I suppose we could announce "the beta for 2.0.0" and give people 1.6.3-r4321 saying "This is the beta for 2.0.0.".

What we've done so far is a little less formal. We say "Hey there are no more tickets open for 2.0.0 (see the issue tracker), so please everyone test the current version (1.6.3-r4321), and in about a week if there are no important new bugs discovered then we'll bump the version number to 2.0.0 and release it!". This is much like a beta but the word "beta" doesn't appear in the announcement.

Regards,

Zooko