On Oct 14, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Fred Drake wrote:

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM, David Lyon <david.l...@preisshare.net> wrote:
ConfigParser is in every python version that I know of.

ConfigParser was first documented in Python 1.5.2, released 30 April 1999.

Some of us remember the releases that came before, but (thankfully)
we're outnumbered.  :-)

1.5.1 was the first Python that I used, seems like I managed to squeak onto the outnumbered side.

The Python Tutorial was really primitive back then (http://www.python.org/doc/1.5.1/tut/ ), it didn't even get it's distinctive blue headers and footers until 1.5.2 (so that it at least a little bit no longer felt like "some dudes pet project"). I like section 9.4, "Randon Remarks" (http://www.python.org/doc/1.5.1/tut/remarks.html ):

"Data attributes override method attributes with the same name; to avoid accidental name conflicts, which may cause hard-to-find bugs in large programs, it is wise to use some kind of convention that minimizes the chance of conflicts, e.g., capitalize method names, prefix data attribute names with a small unique string (perhaps just an underscore), or use verbs for methods and nouns for data attributes."

The use of a leading underscore for private names hadn't yet been formalized as a convention!

:)