Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
True... but because of that people are able to specify setuptools in
setup.py and it will work with either distribute or setuptools.

If you mean in the "install_requires" or "setup_requires" parameters to setuptools setup method, then I'm yet to see a use case where this is required...

> you're getting at that if people didn't specify setuptools in setup.py,
> distribute-0.6 could install without using the setuptools name?

Without faking the setuptools distribution, yes.

>  I don't
> think that works since you still need to take over the setuptools module

package != module != distribution.

setuptools and distribute are both distributions that provide a setuptools package. However, requirements are specified in terms of distributions, which is why people specifying setuptools as a requirement causes problems. As I've said several times now, I just can't see any point in doing that... will someone please enlighten me as to why people feel the need to specify "setuptools" in "install_requires" or "setup_requires" when the code that parses those requirements can't execute unless a package called setuptools is present already?

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk