At 12:36 AM 11/12/2009 -0600, Robert Kern wrote:
Sorry, I edited out the bit at the last minute where I explained that it would be great to have a centralized option-managing object such that any command can ask what options were set on any other regardless of the dependencies between commands.

Actually, that such a thing is needed in the first place is evidence of one of the deepest design flaws in the distutils -- the fact that things which are fundamentally system or project-level configuration values are defined in terms of options to commands!

The distutils is a definite case of "superficial design flaws being so annoying as to keep most people from noticing the fundamental design flaws". ;-)