Tarek Ziadé wrote:

But the result is similar, and explicit imports should work too, so
maybe registeries
are just sugar on the top of something we first need to make work.

It's completely unnecessary sugar, if you ask me.
I don't see what's bad about importing functionality
you want to use.

Where and how do you intend the registration to happen,
anyway? Would it be done by the setup.py script? In
that case I don't see how it saves you anything, since
you would have to first import the thing you want to
register anyway.

Or are you envisaging that Pyrex or whatever tool is
involved would somehow patch itself into distutils
when you install it? I don't like that idea much,
since it smacks of the kind of monkeypatching that
setuptools is reviled for.

--
Greg