2010/1/23 P.J. Eby <p...@telecommunity.com>:
> At 01:00 PM 1/23/2010 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> 3 - dir_util, archive_util and file_util are going to be removed in
>> favor of calls to shutil.
>
> By removed, do you simply mean that distutils will stop using them, but the
> modules will still be there?  (i.e., deprecated and phased out, rather than
> simply dropped from existence altogether.)

I'll use the same strategy than sysconfig :

- if the API is just moved to another place and works exactly the same way
  (e.g. like what's planned for make_archive), it will  be dropped, and the
  documentation will refer to the new place.

- if the API is removed for good, it'll follow a deprecation process

IOW the short term impact for Setuptools (and therefore Distribute)
will be to change a few imports for relocated APIs to be 2.7
compatible.

Tarek