At 05:27 PM 3/24/2010 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
Since setuptools changes the behavior of the install command to install .eggs, those packages need extra flags to use pip's preferred flat installs. Using easy_install (with the right flags) yields consistent behavior for all packages.

Technically, those flags cause setuptools to *not* use easy_install, but rather to use more-or-less plain vanilla distutils installation. I haven't looked at pip's code, but I doubt it's relying on easy_install at all.

Heck, apart from maybe needing pkg_resources to do some parsing and the like, I'd be surprised if pip needs setuptools at all. Ian's said it doesn't use setuptools.package_index to find the packages, so that doesn't leave a whole lot for setuptools to do, except maybe generate the .egg-info when you're running on Python <2.5.