On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:15:32PM +0100, Jean Daniel wrote:
> It seems to me that once this feature is integrated, there will be
> less incentive to use virtualenv.
>
> What cool virtualenv features are left if buildout can do the
> --no-site-package?

I can easy_install a one-off development tool (RunSnakeRun, restview,
zodbbrowser, zest.releaser, z3c.dependencychecker, a million others)
without having to

  * edit a config file
  * re-run buildout and wait 15 seconds longer than it would take
    otherwise [1]
  * remember to revert my changes lest I commit them and force my tool
    choice on all developers of the project [2]

[1] on my project, a do-nothing-because-nothing-changed
    bin/buildout with newest=false still takes 15 seconds

[2] admittedly, I could create a new empty config file, have it extend
    buildout.cfg, add the extra eggs where necessary, and remember to
    run bin/buildout -c my.cfg.  In practice I always forget the -c and
    only notice when I try to use my extra tools and find them missing,
    which breaks the flow and imposes a 15 second delay.

Don't get the wrong impression; despite occasional frustrations,
buildout is a good tool that does things virtualenv doesn't do, and I
prefer to use buildout for all my Python packages once they stop being
trivially simple.  Buildout's killer feature is the shared egg cache.

Marius Gedminas
--
He who sacrifices functionality for ease of use
Loses both and deserves neither