Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Sridhar Ratnakumar
> <sridh...@activestate.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-03-29, at 12:32 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Sridhar Ratnakumar
>> <sridh...@activestate.com> wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I presume sdist too, if generated with 'python setup.py sdist', will contain
>>
>> this .dist-info directory?
>>
>> I don't think so, because part of the files are generated at installation
>> time.
>>
>> Do you have something in mind ?
>>
>> Yes, I read metadata of source distributions by trying to find the PKG-INFO
>> files and extracting at least Name and Version from it (using filenames is
>> unreliable -- eg: "latest.zip"). I thought that due to environment markers
>> and such changes hinting static metadata, the source distribution will at
>> least have METADATA (formerly PKG-INFO) in it. Will that be the case with
>> distutuils2? I know that distutils/setuptools includes PKG-INFO.
>
> I guess we could generate METADATA through sdist but not the other files.
>
> I am a bit worried of having a partial .dist-info directory though, not sure
> why

It seems to me that sdists and binary dists need to be introspectable in
the same way that and installed and "develop" dists are.  Shouldn't the
information needed to generate the RECORD file be present in the sdist
somehow?  E.g., the CSV file could be there, but with placeholder /
logical names for the target files?

I have real use cases for treating them all as "equal animals":

 - http://packages.python.org/pkginfo

 - http://packages.python.org/compoze

Tres.
- --