At 05:11 PM 4/22/2010 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
Or maybe this constitutes "working" for distutils. ;)

It does, I'm afraid. The problem is that the build is also a dry run, so the files aren't there for the later bits to actually copy.

It might be better to do a dry run mechanism based mainly on setuptools' sandboxing code -- the sandbox framework could be extended to allow faking all file operations that go through normal Python APIs. (i.e. not external commands like compilers; those would of course fail unless separately faked.)

There are actually quite a lot of applications for such sandboxing within the distutils, that at one time I hoped to explore in later setuptools versions. (e.g. for testing, uninstalls of arbitrary packages, etc.)