At 08:52 PM 4/26/2010 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
However, I would like to put the data in a *sub* project, that is know
only to my project setup.  Unfortunately this seems to not be possible.

Creating a "public" project for this does not feel right, to me.

In that case, why not just ship the data with the source distribution?

Supposing that in the other PyPI project I still want to use a shell
script to download and process the data, is it correct to execute the
script in the setup.py script, before the setup function is called?

No. Otherwise, this code will run even if somebody tries to do setup.py --help or build, say, a source distribution. The only safe way to extend a setup script's behavior is by subclassing distutils commnads to perform the actions.

Since the shell script depends on some executables to be available on
the system (wget, tar, bzip2, imagemagick), is there a standard method
to check for existence of system executables in the setup?

Distutils has some functions for this sort of thing; I think they're in distutils.util.