On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,

Hi.

> Trying the beta-fix branch on python 2.6.5 with distribute (0.6.13)  I
> get the following error when bootstrapping:

(Thank you for your offer to try out the new release!  I'll take you up on it.)

For clarity and speed, I resort to copy and paste below this message for my
answer.  The sum is, it works if you spell it the expected way.

Since the discussion has arisen, I also ran tests.

Note that, to run all tests, you continue to need to run with something like.

env PYTHON2.4=/path/to/clean/Python2.4 bin/test

Note also that there is a preexisting race-condition bug of some sort--a file
does not get deleted sometimes, at least in some operating systems--that I did
not address.  When it bites in a doctest, it pollutes the rest of the output of
that doctest.

In any case, here are the test results I saw.

With setuptools (that is, when dev,py is not started with -d), in a fresh
checkout, there is a single failure to one test
(zc.buildout.tests.handle_sys_path_version_hack).  That passes in an existing
local branch I have, so the failure is a surprise to me, but hopefully that
will be trivial to fix.

With distribute, it looks like distribute has changed since I ran the tests
with it last.  I keep seeing new instances of messages like "install_dir
/sample-buildout/develop-eggs/tmpXNNXoGbuild".  This is causing a lot of
trivial test failures that I can squelch with a regex or something.  Other than
that, it looks fine on a quick glance.

Gary

[In this example, 26python is a clean Python.  While buildout now supports a
system Python, I did not make that effort for buildout's development itself.]

$ svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zc.buildout/branches/gary-betafix/
Checked out revision 114336.

$ cd gary-betafix/

$ 26python -V
Python 2.6.5

$ 26python dev.py --help
Usage: [DESIRED PYTHON FOR DEVELOPING BUILDOUT] dev.py [options]

Bootstraps buildout itself for development.

This is different from a normal bootstrapping process because the
buildout egg itself is installed as a develop egg.

  -h, --help        show this help message and exit
  -d, --distribute  Use Distribute rather than Setuptools.

$ 26python dev.py -d
(it succeeds)