At 04:59 PM 9/15/2010 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
On 15/09/2010 16:57, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
On 9/15/2010 6:53 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
Looks like we have quite a consistent set of rules with regard to
captilisation of package names on file systems where case isn't
important, shame the same can't be said for distribution names.
[...]These differences cause subtle problems in tools which attempt to
pin versions of particular distributions.
Going by what you wrote about pinning versions, are you talking about
Buildout?

Yes, but I expect the subtleties apply to otehr tools too...

The only "sane" option now would be for all distribution names to be
lowercased by all tools all of the time. How do others feel about this?
pip, easy_install and pypm already ignore case.

...sometimes ;-)

I can't speak to the others, but setuptools *always* ignores case. If you have found it not to, please file a bug report so I can fix it.