At 02:45 PM 9/24/2010 +0100, Jon Hadley wrote:
I'm trying to install a custom package in a buildout managed Plone 3 site in /develop-src named (for the sake of argument) 'foobar.wontbloodywork'.

Yet I keep getting an error 'z3cform.datetimewidget.pot: File name too long'

I get the same result on a freshly built Ubuntu server with no previous eggs. The custom packages used to install fine in an older (12 month +) project.

It was suggested to me (via the Plone Users mailing list) that this might be a distribute error. Can anyone on this list offer any insights?

Have you tried it using plain setuptools (0.6c11 or greater)? There are some bugs in distribute regarding recursive build-time dependencies that were fixed in setuptools last October, but which are still outstanding in distribute.

From your logs, it rather looks as though you've got a situation where collective.z3cform.datetimewidget has a build-time dependency on itself, so I'd like to know if setuptools can handle it correctly as well. easy_installing the package directly works fine on my machine with setuptools; does distribute work for this as well?

If doing an easy_install or plain setup.py install works correctly with distribute, then the problem is probably in buildout rather than setuptools or distribute. (I checked and the datetimewidget project (v1.0.2) does not declare any build-time dependencies, so there shouldn't be any recursion possible... yet it appears to be taking place in your log nonetheless.)