Op 29-10-10 00:49, Glyph Lefkowitz schreef:
On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

Heh, agreed. That bites me on about every third machine I set up for
the first time. The Usual Suspects (TM) are whatever the local
packaging system calls the following (and their -dev or -devel packages,
if split out):

- - zlib
- - ncurses
- - bz2
- - readline
- - openssl

On Debian, there's a handy shortcut: 'apt-get build-dep', which will
install the build dependencies for any given source package. So 'apt-get
build-dep python' will get you all set to build Python.

I did not know that one yet, thanks. I tried that on Ubuntu Jaunty. It returns rather a lot:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep --dry-run python
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
debhelper debiandoc-sgml doc-base dvipdfmx ed gettext ghostscript gsfonts html2text intltool-debian lacheck latex-beamer latex-xcolor libcompress-raw-zlib-perl libcompress-zlib-perl libcroco3 libcups2 libcupsimage2 libfreezethaw-perl libgs8 libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libice6 libio-compress-base-perl libio-compress-zlib-perl libkpathsea4 libmail-sendmail-perl libmldbm-perl libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpoppler4 libroman-perl libsgmls-perl libsm6 libsp1c2 libsys-hostname-long-perl libtext-format-perl libtiff4 libuuid-perl libxaw7 libxext6 libxmu6 libxt6 lmodern pgf po-debconf preview-latex-style prosper ps2eps psfontmgr python-docutils python-roman sgml-base sgml-data sgmlspl sp tex-common texinfo texlive-base texlive-base-bin texlive-base-bin-doc texlive-common texlive-doc-base texlive-extra-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-fonts-recommended-doc texlive-generic-extra texlive-generic-recommended texlive-humanities texlive-humanities-doc texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-base-doc texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-extra-doc texlive-latex-recommended texlive-latex-recommended-doc texlive-pictures texlive-pictures-doc texlive-pstricks texlive-pstricks-doc tipa xml-core
0 upgraded, 83 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Somehow I doubt that I need TeX to build python. (La)TeX is wonderful but there are limits to what it can do. :-) I can imagine it might be needed for building a .deb package though, so it probably makes sense.

--
Maurits van Rees
Programmer, Zest Software