On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Benji York <be...@benjiyork.com> wrote:
> Agreed.  The opposite is a problem as well: one dependency requires an
> older version and another needing a newer one conflict even though the
> newer version would have worked just fine.

That's the case where an external override is all right. But again,
the fact that I can't know which version is possibly working for a
dependency is just crazy.

> Until something changes, it's a "choose your poison" situation.

I think it's high time for a change. My experience at dependency
management, both for systemwide package managers - dpkg/rpm - and Java
software (maven-ivy-etc) says we're currently doing it wrong in
Python. I'll do a research in other environments - ruby/gems,
perl/cpan, Haskell - and I hope we can work to change  this.

--
Alan Franzoni