On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:
>> I don't understand: I explicitly called use_setuptools in my setup,
>> and as can be seen, distribute is automatically downloaded (albeit
>> installed in a temporary directory), and imported setup from
>> setuptools, but it looks like it is calling the plain distutils setup
>> !?
>>
>> Why is it not calling the distribute/setuptools setup?
>
> No, it is calling the distribute setup. If you look at how your package
> is installed, you'll find it in an egg - that's a sure sign of
> setuptools/distribute. It's just that "python setup.py install" does not
> handle dependencies, even with setuptools/distribute.

Hmm... OK, I guess I assumed that distribute was extending the
standard distutils install command to install dependencies, rather
than pip being responsible. So essentially to take advantage of
distribute one must use pip?

Anyway, is automatic dependency installation going to be a standard
feature of distutils2?

--
Ernesto Posse

Modelling and Analysis in Software Engineering
School of Computing
Queen's University - Kingston, Ontario, Canada