On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Éric Araujo <mer...@netwok.org> wrote:
>> Thanks for the pointer, is there anyway to use another filename other
>> than setup.cfg?
>> I am trying to build several related package from a common root?
> In the current code the filename must be setup.cfg.  I think the rise of
> distributed version control systems and usable packaging tools like pip
> and buildout (and setuptools’ namespace package feature) have encouraged
> the separation of projects into separate libraries, each one with its
> repository and setup.py file.  That may be the reason why setup.cfg is
> hard-coded in distutils2.
>
> What do other people think about this?  Is the ability to create more
> than one Python distribution from one directory something we really need?

This is a use case I've had twice in the past, if I understand
correctly at least.  In both cases a fair bit of evil hackery was
employed to make it possible in distutils (actually setuptools).  So
it can be done, but it gets ugly, and can cause some surprisingly
problems, most of which I can't even think of at the moment.  What I
can say is that the take away lesson of that experiment was to not do
that, and to just break everything into separately distributed
packages.

Erik