On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM, PJ Eby <p...@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > For something like Pyramid the main piece that's missing is support
>> > for an entry_points like system.  As Tarek and other have pointed out
>> > the past, such a system could still be supported through a third-party
>> > plugin system that works via setup hooks and custom metadata.  I think
>> > there was even a prototype for something like that at one point...
>>
>> 'packaging' will be powerful enough to copy entry_points.txt into the
>> .dist-info directory as a resource. Python bug #11880.
>>
>> The existing entry points code has a plugin mechanism for itself that
>> will make it easy to iterate over entry_points.txt in dist-info as
>> well as egg-info directories. Just write that plugin and you should be
>> good to go. Though you might have to install the plugin in an egg-info
>> directory at first...
>

> What plugin mechanism are you talking about here, specifically?
>
> For that matter, which "existing entry points code" are you talking about,
> too?  ;-)

Yeah, I'm a little confused by this too.  Sure you could include an
entry_points.txt in the dist-info. Though it's not clear to me that
there's an entirely straightforward way to do this yet.  I think some
ideas have been tossed about for how to make it easier to include
custom files in dist-info, but that there were no conclusions on that.
 Or maybe it already is easy and I'm just missing something.

Then there would need to be some interface like
pkg_resources.iter_entry_points() available to all software that
relies on entry_points.  This could be provided by the same plugin
that adds entry_points.txt to dist-info.  That plugin would have to be
an installation requirement for any software that relies on it (as is
setuptools for any package that currently uses entry_points, so I
don't think that's such a hardship...)

Erik