On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am implementing requirements-in-setup.cfg for wheel because there is
>> no place to put environment markers in setup.py
>>
>> The Requires-Dist: lines in PKG-INFO use ; to separate environment
>> markers from the dep name. Is setup.cfg supposed to use -- ? Why?
>>
>> requires-dist = keyring; python_version == '2.6'
>>
>> versus
>>
>> requires-dist = keyring -- python_version == '2.6'
>
> (Sorry, meant to reply-all; hate how that's not a default on
> python.org mailing lists.)
>
> Where does it say that?  I see to recall it always using ; both in the
> PKG-INFO and in setup.cfg.  I'm probably mistaken, but I'm just
> wondering where you got this from?  And if so I wonder if it could be
> changed. The -- syntax is just confusing IMO.
>
> Erik

Reading from
http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/build/html2/packaging/setupcfg.html#extension-modules-sections

Of course if you are always installing from wheel you would probably
continue to specify anything build-related in Python, and only the
install-time metadata from setup.cfg's [metadata] section would need
environment markers. Wheel doesn't include setup.cfg or setup.py, just
the .dist-info/METADATA generated from those files.