On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Donald Stufft <donald.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe that's just me though.

Nope, it's "In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess"
applied to dependency metadata. It's one of the core philosophical
differences between the stdlib and systems like setuptools.

If *others* want to guess in their automated systems, that's their
prerogative. We prefer to put up a barrier and say "be explicit about
what you want". You see the same difference in perspective between
datetime and dateutil - even though we agree there are contexts where
guessing is useful, we will generally consider such tools a poor fit
for the standard library, instead leaving them to the third party
ecosystem.