On 2012-09-28 17:50:56 +0000, Jim Fulton said:

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Alex Clark <acl...@aclark.net> wrote:
Please change the A record. Once that change propagates, these docs will be
displayed at buildout.org:

- https://github.com/buildout/buildout.github.com

Not so fast.

1) To test this, I added this to my host file:

    207.97.227.245 www.buildout.org     buildout.org

    What I get when I go there has no content.
    I don't want us to switch to this until it's on par
    (or at least vaguely close) to the existing site.

OK I added files from the wayback machine, so it should look exactly like it used to. e.g.

- https://raw.github.com/buildout/buildout.github.com/master/screenshot.png

2) When we do this, if I understand this correctly, we'll
     want to use a CNAME to pages.github.com.

Not exactly. Check:

- https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-a-custom-domain-with-pages

So if you want to use the naked domain (and redir www to buildout.org) then do:

buildout.org A 204.232.175.78

Otherwise you'd create a CNAME for www.buildout.org:

www CNAME buildout.github.com

(and redir buildout.org to www)