On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Donald Stufft <donald.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some unpublished work I should publish.
>
> Part of the point with what i'm trying to do is to define a standard for
> what is inside
> a package, but not really for how you take a particular set of files and
> turn it into
> that. So if you want to edit yaml you can have a yaml file and have a
> package
> creation tool that turns that yaml into the standard json that gets added to
> the
> package. The same can be said for a python file or a setup.cfg or whatever.
> Ideally
> the roles of package creation, building, and installation should be able to
> be completely
> separate. So my goal is to facilitate that by creating a standard way to
> describe
> all the data about a distribution, including extensible data in a way that
> any tool
> can serialize or deserialize it losslessly.

Note that all this work has already been done in Bento.

I understand the appeal of using an existing format like yaml, but it
is not clear to me how one can handle conditional with it, and I think
you want to handle conditionals in there (for platform-dependent
dependencies).

Bento also has a command to convert setup.py-based projects to bento
internal format, adapting it to use another format should not be too
difficult.

David