On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I've now updated distlib to include equivalent functionality for
> pkg_resources'
> entry points. There is no ability to install packages on-demand via
> "require()"
> functionality, but distributions are able to register things they implement,
> and the capability to query what's available is also present. The relevant
> information is stored in a dist-info file REGISTRY which has the same format
> as
> entry_points.txt files.

Given that it's the same format, is there any reason to change the
filename?  Changing the filename just means more code in Daniel's
wheel support code, and REGISTRY is an awfully vague name.  Registry
of what?  ;-)

> I noticed that pkg_resources has a function cleanup_resources() to clear the
> cache, but this is a no-op. Can someone tell me why this is?

When Bob Ippolito and I first designed that system, we thought there'd
be a need to use temporary directories for extraction.  Apparently,
there never was.  ;-)