On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.bad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Or at least warn("Your Unicode is broken"); in fact, just put that in
> site.py
> > unconditionally.
> >
> If python itself adds that to site.py, that would be great.  But individual
> sites adding things to site.py only makes python code written at one site
> non-portable.

It is a joke. Python would just print "Your Unicode is broken" on startup,
just to let you know, regardless of your platform or LOCALE.

 > However remember that a non-ASCII pypi name ☃ could still be just "import

> > snowman". Only the .dist-info directory ☃-1.0.0.dist-info would
> necessarily
> > contain the higher Unicode characters.
> >
> <nod>  I wasn't thinking about that.  If you specify that the metadata
> directories (if they contain the unicode characters) must be encoded in
> utf-8 (or at least, must be in a specific encoding on a specific platform),
> then that would work.  Be sure to specify the encoding and use it
> explicitly, when decoding filenames rather than the implicit d4ecoding
> which
> relies on the locale, though (I advise having unittests where the locale is
> set to something non-utf-8 (C locale works well) to test this or someone
> who
> doesn't remember this conversation will make a mistake someday).  If you
> rely on the implicit conversion with locale, you'll eventually end up back
> in the mess of having bytes that you don't know what to do with.
>
> > I will keep the - and document the - to _ folding convention. - turns
> into _
> > when going into a filename, and _ turns back into - when parsed out of a
> > filename.
> >
> Cool.  Thanks.
>
> > The alternative to putting the metadata in the filename which btw isn't
> that
> > big of a problem, is to have indexed metadata. IIUC apt-get and yum work
> this
> > way and the filename does not matter at all. The tradeoff is of course
> that you
> > have to generate the index. The simple index is a significant
> convenience of
> > easy_install derived systems.
> >
> <nod>.  I've liked the idea of putting metadata about all installed modules
> into a separate index.  It makes possible writing a new import mechanism
> that uses the index to more efficiently load of modules on systems with
> large sys.path's and make mulitple versions of a module on a system easier
> to implement.
>
> However, there are some things to consider:

I was actually thinking of the server (pypi) side.

It would also be worthwhile to define an install-side hook, minimally
"packaging.reindex()", or "reindex(list of changed packages)". By default
it would do nothing because the default implementation would look at all
the .dist-info directories every time, but you could plug in a more
complicated implementation. It would be, by design, less flexible than the
current "anything that has an info directory on the path is installed
automatically" system.