Tarek Ziadé <tarek <at> ziade.org> writes:

> Having a indirection like distutils2's resources allows the data files
> to live alongside the code
> in development and to be installed wherever that's desired by the
> distro, without breaking
> the code as long as it uses the indirection function to find back the file.
>
> Since the indirection is provided by a file that can be browsed in the
> metadata directory,
> it means anyone can get the file location by using the API we provided.

Yes, but it seems like you're assuming everything's always installed in a
conventional way and not, say, deployed in a .zip. I'm not disputing what you
said - get_file_path and get_resource_path are still there in distlib - but I'm
not sure that there's *never* a case for data located in packages.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip