Can you think of any such *besides* documentation?  'Cause if
    documentation is the only thing, then we should just call it
    that.  ;-)

:-) No, to be honest, I can't. But I'm not an expert - the Linux distro people probably know a lot better than I do what types of files give them trouble. But if documentation's the only case then yes, definitely call it that.
Those come to my mind: data files needed by self-tests. Custom theming stylesheets. Default configuration files which you need to copy at the first start to user's config. Templates for reports your package is generating.

cheers, vaclav