On 13/01/2013 03:43, Marius Gedminas wrote:
4. Change: develop eggs found in the buildout's develop-eggs directory
   will be used even if their version conflicts with a pinned version.

Did somebody ask for this?

I believe I mentioned this.

I used to trip on this gotcha practically every time:

   - work on package foo that depends on bar
   - discover a bug in bar that manifests when I use it from foo
   - check out bar from svn trunk
   - add a 'mg.cfg' in foo's source tree with
       [buildout]
       extends = buildout.cfg
       develop = ../bar
   - bin/buildout -c mg.cfg
   - try some import pdb; pdb.set_trace() or debug prints in
     ../bar/src/..., run a project in foo, wonder why the
     breakpoints/debug prints won't work, check bin/runfoo, see
     ~/.buildout/eggs/bar-1.2.3.egg in there, realize what's the matter
   - edit mg.cfg again, add
       [versions]
       bar =
   - run bin/buildout -c mg.cfg again, continue debugging.

It's an unnecessary speedbump.

Yeah, I thought it might be this ;-)
I don't know how hard it'd be top implement but in an ideal world I'd prefer to see develop eggs trump any other sources but still have version requirements checked.

An example of why would be as above, except that I check out the wrong branch (trunk versus the major version the project should be using), fix the bug, check in, release, remove develop line and get annoyed that I still have the problem.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk