I never quite understood what 1.2beta ever meant in a typical life cycle in
first.

Source code *has* a natural sequential evolution nature (call it a commit time
stamp, a scm version number etc.): even branches can be seen sequential walk
along a "timeline".

For that reason I don't think enforcing a __release__ tag being a let's say 3
non
decreasing digit would be a bad idea: "rebels" willing to use things like 1.2b
can keep still stuff that in (IMHO) the wrong __version__ variable.

If __release__ is not defined it can default to 0.0.0 (so holding the backward
compatibility.

On Tue 29/01/13 11:25, "Vinay Sajip" vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It hurts to have multiple version schemes in
> concurrent use.
> Agreed, but I don't see how you can avoid it; even if all projects switch
> over
to a single scheme in the future, you still have the problem of past
> versions.
You can be sure, too, that for many projects, their dependencies will
> use
schemes which may not be mutually compatible with each other (excepting,
> of
course, if you treat them all as having the "legacy" version scheme - that,
> of
course, fits everything, as it is sufficiently liberal).