On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Donald Stufft <donald.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, January 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
>
> I would add to the currently supported values "semantic"
> (http://semver.org/)
> as this scheme is widely used and is easy to support.
>
> Currently, distlib supports a number of version schemes:
>
> "legacy" - setuptools ordering - most liberal
> "normalized" - PEP 386 - not really compatible with semantic versioning
> "semantic" - http://semver.org/
>
> Please no, PEP386 or semver, not both.

One of the goals of metadata 1.3 is to be better able to describe what
people *currently* do, rather than the metadata 1.2 approach which
required people to change their approach to version numbering before
they could comply with the new schema (and hence ran afoul of
https://xkcd.com/927/). This approach places an additional burden on
tools developers to support more versioning schemes, but lowers the
barrier to adoption for the other aspects of the new metadata format.

The specific intent of adding Version-Scheme is to relax the version
numbering requirement from "you *must* use PEP 386 version numbering"
to "you *should* use PEP 386 version numbering for new projects, but
if you're already using a different versioning scheme, here's how to
indicate the scheme you're actually using".